Informed Collector Recommends:
Pastel 9 x 12
SILVER QUEEN by Tobi Clement was awarded Outstanding Pastel in the April 2017 BoldBrush Painting Competition.
What I paint is born of the intimate union between the New Mexico landscape and myself.
When a place speaks to me, I spend many months or even years unlocking its treasures of color and translating them onto paper with pastels. I find myself wanting to really know the place, to feel a connection that becomes more intimate over time. A stillness envelops me when I paint Plein Air and it feeds my soul. My ability to "see" the landscape alters and changes as I become more quiet within myself. During the artistic process, the evolution of how I see shapes and colors often intensifies, while the story of the painting simplifies. The process of the artistic journey excites me! It is a neverending expansion of the creative spirit, bubbling up from within, taking form and releasing itself into the world.
I have attended workshops with pastel teachers: Albert Handell, Anita Louise West, Richard Mckinley, Liz Hayward Sullivan, Lorenzo Chavez, Elizabeth Mowery, Doug Dawson and Casey Klahn. I have participated in juried National Pastel Society shows in North Carolina, New Orleans, Colorado, Northwest and New Mexico. I was honored to be selected for the prestigious National Weather Center Biennale in 2015.
I’ve been active in the Plein Air Painters of New Mexico, co-chaired the 2015 and 2016 Santa Fe Plein Air Festival and participated as a juried artist in the show for the past three years. I am also an active member in the Pastel Society of New Mexico and have been a juried participant in their last three exhibitions.
- May 2017 Juried into the NW Pastel Society National Show
- May 2016 Juried into the North Carolina Statewide Pastel Exhibition.
- May 2016 Juried into the NW Pastel Society National show
- Nov 2016 Juried intoPAPNM Members show
- June 2016 Juried into PAPNM Plein Air Festival
- April 2016 Juried into the Wichita Kansas Art Center Pastel Exhibition
- Nov 2015 Juried into the National PSNM National show
- April 2015 National Weather Center Biennale, Norman Oklahoma
- Nov 2014 Juried into Degas Pastel Societies National Exhibition
- Nov 2014 Juried into National New Mexico PSNM Exhibition
- July 2014 Juried into Mile High Pastel Society Exhibition
- Nov. 2013 Juried into National New Mexico PSNM
- June 2013 Juried into the PAPNM Plein Air Festival
- Oct. 2012 Juried into National Appalachian Pastel Exhibition
- Oct. 2012 Juried into PAPNM members show
- Sept. 2011 Juried Exhibition of PAPNM in the Millicent Rogers Museum
- April 2010 Biennale Grande Juried Exhibition at the Hubbard Museum
- April 2017 Outstanding Pastel, Faso Boldbrush Contest
- Nov 2016 Jeffery Potter Memorial Award for Artistic Excellence, PAPNM Members show
- April 2016 Honorable mention,Wichita Kansas Art Center National Pastel show
- Jan 2016 Honorable mention, National Richeson Small Works
- Oct 2015 Honorable mention for Pastel in PAPNM Fall Members show.
- June 2014 Second place Quick Draw competition, PAPNM Plein Air festival Awarded Best Nocturne Painting.
- June 2013 Winner of the Quick Draw competition, PAPNM Plein Air festival
Learn More About Tobi Clement