Informed Collector Recommends:
Jie Wei Zhou
Little Helper by Jie Wei Zhou was selected as FAV 15% in the January 2017 BoldBrush Painting Competition.
“I don’t want people to see my brush strokes. I want them to see the heart.”
Jie Wei Zhou is a master realist whose love and talent for art brought him from Shanghai, China to the United States. Jie Wei Zhou developed an early passion for art in middle school, where his teachers soon recognized his gift. He continued his artistic pursuits with increasing dedication and went on to earn a Bachelor of Arts Degree from Shanghai Normal University. During this time, he extensively studied both French and Russian painting styles and refined his mastery of light and form. Then, in 1991, he became one of only eleven chosen students in his city of thirteen million to earn a Masters in Fine Art from the prestigious Shanghai Drama Institute.
Jie Wei Zhou became a renowned artist in China and then achieved his dream of painting in America by sending his rolled canvases to a gallery in the U.S. The gallery sold his artwork and deposited the money in a savings account to pay for his passage. Now a U.S. Resident residing in Colorado, Jie Wei Zhou continues to remember and honor his cultural roots through his Chinese subject matters.
Primarily an oil painter, Jie Wei Zhou creates with a distinct voice and refreshing originality. He conveys a story or invokes a certain emotion in each of his works because he believes that art is one of the purest forms of communication. Through sharing these narratives and memories he hopes to increase the understanding and appreciation for Asian cultures and remind viewers of their own similar experiences. As such, painting is a very personal journey for him and those who view his artwork often feel as if they are ‘in the moment’ with the subjects and offered a unique glimpse into the story of another individual’s life.
“I try to show the spirit of people. I want my paintings to stand there like a real person who wants to talk to you.”
--Jie Wei Zhou
- 2011-2016 East Meets West; Trailside Galleries, Scottsdale, AZ
- 2015 The Storytellers: Artists of the American West; Trailside Galleries, Scottsdale, AZ
- 2015 Masters in Miniature Invitational; Trailside Galleries, Jackson, WY
- 2015 High Country Summer; Trailside Galleries, Jackson, WY
- 2014-2015 Deck the Walls-Holiday Miniature Show; Trailside Galleries, Jackson, WY
- 2005-2014 One Person Showcase; Trailside Galleries, Jackson, WY & Scottsdale, AZ
- 1993 Asian International Art Exhibition; Taiwan
- 1992 Chinese-Japanese Artists Exhibition; Shanghai, China
- 2016 Weekend in the West Art Show at Evergreen Fine Art Gallery, “Meininger Quick Draw Award”
- 2014 Weekend in the West Art Show at Evergreen Fine Art Gallery, “Artist’s Choice Award”
- 1993 Asian International Art Exhibition, “Memorial Award”
- 1992 Chinese-Japanese Artists Exhibition, “People’s Choice”
- 1990 Shanghai Horizon Art Exhibition, “Silver Award”
- 1986 Spring in Jiangnan, “Excellence Award”
- 2016 April Issue: East Meets West, Western Art Collector Magazine
- 2014 April Issue: East Meets West, Western Art Collector Magazine
- 2013 April Issue: East Meets West, Western Art Collector Magazine
- 2008 February Issue: Western Art Collector Magazine
- 2007 May/June Issue: Art of the West
- 2006 June Issue: American Art Collector Magazine
- 2006 June Issue: Art of the West
- 2004 May Issue: Southwest Art, A World Away, Gussie Fauntleroy
Learn More About Jie Wei Zhou